Ruger is a well-established brand in firearms and they are renowned throughout America for their quality firearms.
They have been around since 1949 and manufacture a variety of firearms including revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns.
However one of their most successful products ought to be the Ruger LCP pistol.
What are the best features of the Ruger LCP?
The Ruger LCP pistol was first manufactured some years back – in 2008 to be precise. Over time, the company has tried to improve upon the model and have been able to incorporate several improved features into the handgun. Some of the most important aspects of the Ruger LCP are as follows:
- Weight: LCP is the abbreviated version of Light Compact Pistol. This means that the Ruger LCP weighs very less – a mere 10.6 oz.
- Caliber: The Ruger LCP is powerful and usesRuger LCP 380 Auto ammunition.
- Capacity:The Ruger LCP can hold 6 + 1 rounds.
- Barrel Length: The barrel length of the Ruger LCP is 2.75 inches.
- Width: The width of the Ruger LCP is 0.82 inches.
- Height: The height of the Ruger LCP is 3.60 inches.
- Sights: The Ruger LCP has fixed front and rear sights.
- Frame Finish: The Ruger LCP comes in a plethora of color options including pink, black, blue and purple.
Please note thatif you are more comfortable using 9 mm ammunition then you should be looking at the Ruger LC9 S, which is the Ruger LCP 9mm model. This is more specifically a Ruger LCP 380 review.
What are the disadvantages of the Ruger LCP?
A Ruger LCP review wouldn’t be complete without pointing out the pros and cons of the pistol. So here you go! Let’s start with the negatives first:
- Not suitable for shooting from a distance: The Ruger LCP was specifically designed as a self-defence weapon. Therefore it works great for shooting from short distance away from the target. But as the distance increases the accuracy of your shot might go down, especially if you are new to shooting.
- Ethical considerations: Do you remember the legal tussle between Apple and Samsung over design copyright issues? Similarly, many complain that the design of the Ruger LCP is also based on a similar pistol from another company called Kel Tec.
- Availability: The Ruger LCP 380 is an extremely popular handgun. They sell like hot cakes, simply flying off the shelves as soon as they are restocked! So you will need to keep a sharp eye out to act quickly when you notice a Ruger LCP for sale.
- Long Trigger Pull: Although the trigger pull is smooth, nevertheless it is also long – which could be a deliberate move by Ruger in order to make up for the absence of any external safety mechanisms.
- Very Basic Sights: Some people might have issues with focusing accurately on the target, because the sights of the Ruger LCP are not too great. There are certain workarounds to this but one quick solution to this is to get a Ruger LCP 380 with laser.
This is especially true for people with hyperopia, which means that they cannot clearly see things which are close to them. Although this would mean that you pay extra for the laser, it does improve the user experience to a significant extent.
- Accidental firing: In the beginning, certain users have complained that if a loaded Ruger LCP gets dropped from a height on a hard surface, then there are chances of it firing inadvertently. Naturally, this can lead to some serious problems. However, the company claims to have fixed this issue.
What are the advantages of the Ruger LCP 380?
Now let’s have a look at the positive side of the Ruger LCP:
- Affordability: The Ruger LCP is a pistol which gives you good value for money. Compared to many other similar pistol models from other brands like Smith & Wesson, these handguns will surely fit your budget.
- Concealed Carry: The small and compact design of the Ruger LCP makes it ideal choice for carrying it on you for long hours. You can carry it in a Ruger LCP holster without anyone noticing it, unlike other heavier and larger pistols, which can be rather uncomfortable.
- Accessories: Since the Ruger LCP is very much in demand, there are a whole range of Ruger LCP accessories and add-ons readily available for these pistols. They are easy to find and the customer support of Ruger is also exceptional enough to guide you in the right way.
Should you buy the Ruger LCP?
Would I recommend the Ruger LCP? The Ruger LCP has earned a very loyal fan following over the years thanks to their reliability and user friendliness. Almost all reviews about the Ruger LCP pistol will recommend the handgun and you will certainly be hard-pressed to find any negative Ruger LCP review.
- In fact, I have come across both men and women who have only good things to say about the Ruger LCP. This is somewhat rare. Generally speaking, the size of a man’s hand is larger than a woman’s hand and also the force exerted is more. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but more often than not, you will find this to be true.
- Therefore not all men and women are comfortable using the same pistols. Hence it was a pleasant surprise to find out that the Ruger LCP is convenient for both genders. What’s more, Ruger also includes a finger grip extension floorplate that can be attached to the magazine for an improved grip.
- The rugged construction of the pistol as well as the textured frame of the Ruger LCP goes a long way in improving the user’s grip on the handgun, even when hands are wet. Plus the pistol is designed in such a way as to reduce the recoil impact.
This is definitely a desirable trait in all handguns no doubt. In fact, one of my friends who uses this gun, suffers from mild carpel tunnel syndrome. And even she is happy with this gun and has no complaints about it!
Is the Ruger LCP for you?
The Ruger LCP is not a pistol that can be taken out on a hunt. It might also not be a firearm which can be used for recreational purposes at the range. It is also not a flashy pistol meant to be bragged about.
Rather, it is a handgun that is best suited for people who are keen on protecting themselves from everyday dangers and risks. While there are a few better pistols out there, there is no denying the fact that the Ruger LCP is nevertheless a force to reckon with.
Even if you already own other pistols, the Ruger LCP can be the ideal backup pistol. You can even carry along in your pocket for personal safety, especially if you are going to be out late or if you know that you might be travelling to an unsafe area. (A word of warning: If you have the habit of constantly putting your hands into your pockets, then you need to be careful with a gun in your pocket!)
If you are looking for a handy and matter-of-fact pistol which can be depended upon to do what is expected of it without ant jamming or other such malfunctions, then the Ruger LCP is the right choice for you. Many of my family members who own this pistol and are ardent fans of it. It is globally recognized as a good quality pistol.
Pistols are not limited to only the police (or criminals for that matter). America is one of the world’s biggest markets for handguns. Owning a gun is a very personal choice – one which many might not agree with. Nevertheless one must admit that many feel reassured about their personal safety when they have this pistol on their person.
- But you don’t necessarily have to take my word for it. Try shooting with different pistols before you make the final decision on which pistol to buy. Just because a particular pistol suits your friend, doesn’t mean that it will suit you.
- So it is always a good idea to take your time and experiment with different makes and models before you zero in on one pistol.
- The plethora of choices available in handguns could be a little overwhelming to a novice. Discussing your concerns with other firearm enthusiasts who have experience with handling pistols might also help clear any confusion that you might have about pistols.
- Do diligent research and read reviews and recommendations before investing in a handgun. With some patience and prudence you will be able to make the right choice of handgun for you.
Once you get a Ruger LCP, it is advisable to first practice shooting a lot with it on the range, just to get the hang of it and to become confident with it. This is a must-do especially if you are an amateur shooter and if this is your first handgun. Also it is essential that you maintain your pistol properly if you want it to be durable. Properly cleaning and caring for your pistol is important if you want it to be as good as new.
Further always remember to stow away your pistol in a safe and secure place when not in use in order to avoid any unfortunate incidents.
Never let anyone who hasn’t had proper training in firearms handle the pistol. Children should always be supervised when a pistol is in the picture. Always keep an eye on them and never leave them unmonitored even for a minute around a pistol.